Oh where to start today? The world in general seems to be upside down right now. The headlines around the world offer glimpses of hope, some counties are tentatively reopening or planning a reopening. But at the same time there are other countries that are in the midst of crisis. Here in the US, where there is no unified methodology so there are 50 ways this could go. 50 states doing things 50 different ways. Honestly, in lieu of any real presidential leadership, at least we have Dr. Fauci. Not sure how he is surviving the ever threatening Trump axe but thankfully for now his opinions are being heeded.
Dr. Fauci on Sunday called for a “rolling reentry” and a solution “that is not one size fits all” to prevent a potential rebound in Covid-19 cases from a premature reopening.
“It is not going to be a light switch that we say, ‘OK, it is now June, July, or whatever, click, the light switch goes back on,’” Fauci told CNN host Jake Tapper. “It’s going to be depending where you are in the country, the nature of the outbreak that you already experienced, and the threat of an outbreak that you may not have experienced.” (OKAY, I am gasping WTF…June or July???)
Sigh, yes acceptance and anger are mixed emotions in my mind. Coupled with all the stress of my mothers continuing cognitive decline in a time I can’t be there to help her. Did I tell you about her standing in her living room with the front door open…buck naked. She is a least keeping the screen door closed. Lots of exercise and wine is keeping me sane!!!
So here is how day twenty four of our sheltering in place went:
- Not sure what happened today, but I was up before 8:00 am and had to make my own damn coffee, feed the fur bags and take Bentley for his constitutional. This will not go unforgotten!!!
- Another Sunday so it’s fertilizer day – whoo-hoo!!! The flowers, herbs and plants thanked me. I’ve been trying to start some cilantro in my existing herb pot but the spindly seedlings are not thriving so I am trying a new batch in a cardboard insert that was part of a wifi booster package. How’s that for getting creative!!!
- My SIP bestie, Kristen and I got in a 4 mile walk around the resort. We really mixed it up and did all the side streets too – crazy times!!!
- Laundry – yawn!!!
- A couple of Easter Bunnies dropped off some treats!!! Thanks Bunnies…chocolate cures everything.
- Wally has been helping some friends diagnose why their golf cart won’t start. He earned a bottle of wine for his efforts today – Thanks Dawn and Fran!!!
- The other big event of the day happened when Wally took the garbage to the resort dumpsters. We have daily garbage pick up service but we just prefer to do it ourselves. A perfectly good, barely used 8 quart Instant Pot was left in the “adoptable” area by the dumpsters. The engineer thought it would be a fun project to fix, but it wasn’t broken…only unwanted. I have a smaller 6 quart which will find its permanent home on the boat and I will keep this big boy on the coach. Best dumpster find ever…LOL!!!
- We Facetimed with friends from Scottsdale AZ today for happy hour. It’s amazing how much more connected we are since we can’t actually see anyone. Sandi and Gerry were here in February and we had a blast with them. Today they regaled us with all the house projects they have been crossing off under quarantine. Impressive… especially painting the kitchen cabinets.
- I tried a new recipe for dinner tonight…just tweaked a few things and added some additional herbs but it will definitely make it back in the rotation. Warm Quinoa Salad with Cumin Spiced Carrots and Grilled Chicken Thighs.
- The fridge is looking quite empty but we have a Costco delivery tomorrow. There are three other people who have jumped in on the order so the Instacart shopper is getting a very nice tip!
- Worked on this blog post and edited pictures.
Day twenty four was another roller coaster ride … but we stayed home.